Monday, April 7, 2008

Fun In Osaka


The Osaka demonstration was great fun. I particularly enjoyed meeting some of our Effortless English members in Japan! My only regret is that I didn’t have time to talk to everyone longer. Next time, we’ll schedule more time to just sit and chat.

Since the Osaka demonstration went well, we’ll be doing more workshops and seminars in the future.

My plan is to develop two kinds of seminars-- one for English teachers, and one for English learners.

There is a huge need for teacher training- as most English teachers either have no training at all, or they are trained in grammar-analysis-practice methods (in other words, they are only trained to use textbooks).

Likewise, I believe there is a need for student training. Most students don’t know about the research. They don’t know there are other ways to learn English. They only know what they have experienced in school-- usually boring, grammar-based, textbook teaching. My goal for student seminars is to teach students a new way to learn—independently.

The Osaka seminar was my first one. It went well, but I felt it was a bit rough and needs improvement. When I get back to San Francisco, I will start doing regular seminars in the city. In this way, I can practice and improve both versions of the seminar. Once I’m satisfied with the quality, we will go “on tour” and do seminars in different cities around the world.


Listen To This Article at:
The Effortless English Podcast.

1 comment:

JO said...

Congratulation for the seminar AJ!

Hopefully i can go to SF when i go to NY in Christmas this year :)!

Sri